Sunday, September 29, 2013

Chocolate Almond Biscotti

I  have known Biscotti through my aunt who came from oversea and since then it became one of my must-have  biscuits so I made one for myself.
A little history, Biscotti was originated in Italy. Since they are very dry, Biscotti traditionally are served with a drink, into which they may be dunked. In Italy they are typically served as an after-dinner dessert with a Tuscan fortified wine called vin santo(made from white grapes). 

Outside of Italy, they are more frequently accompany by coffee, including cappuccinos and lattes, or black tea. So in a rainy season, Chocolate Almond Biscotti (I substitute cashew nut)  is a well matched to my hot honey green tea with a good book on hand and head leaning on a soft couch that makes my laid back cozy rainy afternoon.


Truly be inspired when cooking or baking, as we heard 'cook with love and bake with heart'. Ive been playing this song 'No Matter What' by Kerrie Roberts, since the baking procedure. Using a whisk as a microphone, It works. Here are some of the lyrics I like.

When I'm stuck and there's  nothing else by myself
I'm just sitting in silence
There's no way I can make it without Your help
I wont even try it

I know You have your reasons for everything
So I will keep believing
Whatever I might be feeling, God, You are my hope
And you will be my strength

No matter what, Im gonna  love You
No matter what Im gonna need You
I know You can find a way to keep me from the pain
But if not, Ill trust you
The touch of your hand is enough on its own.
 



Chocolate Almond Biscotti 
You will need:
  • 3/4 cup (110 grams) blanched whole almonds
  • 2/3 cup (135 grams) granulated white sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 3/4 cups (230 grams) all purpose flour 
  • 2/3 cup (110 grams) semi sweet or bitter sweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350degree F/ 180 degree C. Toast almonds for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and then chop coarsely. Set aside.
In a bowl of electric mixer , beat the sugar and eggs on high speed until thick, pale and fluffy(about 5 minutes). Beat in the vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the egg mixture and beat until combined. Fold in the chopped almonds and chocolate.
Transfer the dough to a well floured counter and roll into a log shape, about 12 inches (30cm) long and 3 1/2 inches (9cm) wide. Place on your baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes.
Reduce oven temperature to 325 degree F (165 degree C). Transfer the log to a cutting board and cut into about 1/2 inch slices, on a diagonal. Place the Biscotti, cut side down, on the baking sheets. Bake for about 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let it cool. Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment